If you could, would you want to be able to predetermine the characteristics, interests, talents, education, career, etc. of your unborn child?As my fellow campers quietly answered, one at a time, in an orderly, clock wise fashion (I love that my good friends never play games like this -- we all yell and answer over each other in the most annoying yet delightful way) they said ridiculous things like "Oh, yes. Profession? Um...a doctor or a lawyer." Or, "Sure. I'd predetermine they had good style." Ugh. Here are some of the private thoughts I can remember having in that moment...
- What would I predetermine for my unborn child? Uh, that it be born to different parents.
- Hmm? Profession? Just not a lawyer.
- These born-again bores are all saying "yes" to this question??! Oh, yes, of course, because this scenario would be possible only with faith, not science. (Is sarcasm legible in blog-thought form?)
- So, there are or are not smores?
- Eew. Bug.
- If I ever had a kid (IF!), I would just want them to be happy. Whatever was right for them would be right for me. If I could predetermine a true sense of self or simple but genuine contentment for life -- sure, why not...